Wisdom teeth – to remove or not to remove…That is the question!
Have you been told before that you need your wisdom teeth removed even though you didn’t have any pain? Did someone tell you that they needed their wisdom teeth removed because it will make the rest of their teeth crooked? Do you know someone who woke up in the middle of the night due to a wisdom tooth infection
All of the above are very common things that we hear and see at Duncraig Dental Care. Let’s just start by saying that NOT all wisdom teeth need removal, and it is also common that someone with no pain will require removal of their wisdom tooth/ teeth. It all depends on the situation.
The most common reasons for removal of the wisdom teeth are:
- The partial eruption of a wisdom tooth will often lead to retention of bacteria under the gums, eventually pain and infection.
- Forward or backward tilting of the wisdom tooth in the wrong direction facing the molar next to it which can lead to root decay, loss of the bone support and eventually may result in loss of two molars if not treated early.
- Inability to consistently brush and floss around wisdom teeth. Due to the backward location of these molars, sometimes it is hard to maintain a clean field which is common among gaggers.
- Depending on the situation, we sometimes prefer to remove the wisdom teeth before or after the Orthodontic treatment.
The most common reasons for NOT removing the wisdom teeth are:
- If there is enough jaw space for the wisdom tooth to erupt fully.
- If the patient can brush and floss thoroughly around the wisdom tooth, there is no reason to remove them.
- If the overall risks of removing a wisdom tooth are higher than the risks of leaving it which we can always evaluate through 2D and 3D X-rays, then we always recommend in these situations not to extract or find another alternative.
We offer Oral and IV sedation
At Duncraig Dental Care we offer IV sedation as an option to have your wisdom teeth removed here in the surgery by a visiting anaesthetist.
If you have any concerns about your wisdom teeth, Give our friendly team at Duncraig Dental Care a call at 94483111 and book an appointment with Dr. Barr to discuss. We can usually find an appointment for you on the same day.