Did you know that your toothbrush can be a breeding ground for germs, fungus and bacteria?
A scientific study has found more than 10 million bacteria living on a single toothbrush! After a well-used period, the bacterial numbers can significantly reach to as many as you would find on a toilet brush! Gross!
Toothbrushes usually become contaminated in as little as one week to one month after the first use and contain several dangerous bacteria such as Streptococci, E. Coli (food poisoning) and Candida Albicans (fungal infections).
If your brush resides in the same neighbouring environment as your toilet, there might be some cross contamination occurring as the evaporated toilet water in the air of your bathroom is able to settle on your toothbrush and the odds of contamination are even higher if your bathroom is poorly ventilated. Ideally, keep your brush in a different room to your toilet to maintain its hygienic levels or cover the toilet with the toilet lid while flushing.
To maintain the toothbrush’s optimal output, it is recommended to change your toothbrush at least once every three months or sooner if the bristles are frayed. Using an older toothbrush not only stores unwanted mature plaque butthe deformed bristles become less effective in their role. If you have recently suffered from flu or have been diagnosed with periodontal disease (jaw-bone disease) you should change your toothbrush more often.
How to minimise the bacterial growth on your toothbrush?
After brushing your teeth, shake it vigorously under tap water to clean between the bristles and store it in an upright position so that it is aerated and able to dry naturally. Otherwise damp bristles provide a favorable environment for the bacteria to flourish.
You wouldn’t clean your dishes with foul stale dishwashing water, why possibly harm your health with an unhygienic toothbrush?
Provided by Emma Nikolic